What is an eBrary? Is it a delicious electronic fruit … ? Actually it is the Library’s new and special digital collection of career books which you can access online at anytime from the comforts of your couch. Whether you are researching the Comm 101 Career Information Project or making important decisions about your future, try out one of these books to see if they can be a valuable asset in your professional endeavors.
Continue reading to learn how to locate, read, and save any of the Online Books we have in our collection through eBrary.
You can locate the Library’s digital collection of eBook through the SWAN Catalog.
To browse through the entire digital collection try doing a basic keyword search for ebrary.
|Question: How do I know if the book I am looking at in the catalog is an eBook or a regular print book?Answer: eBooks have this electronic file logo attached to its record.|
Step 2: Accessing your eBook
When you have located an eBook that you would like to try, you will need to follow the appropriate link provided in the catalog’s record. (Hint!: you find this link at the bottom of page, under Connect to:)
If you are off-campus when you click on the link you will be asked to login through the Library server. You will use the exact same username and password that you do for d2L, web adviser, and your email.
Step 3: Using your eBook
Now that you have accessed the eBook, you can do all sorts of things, including …
- reading the book (… gasp)
- highlighting passages of the book
- adding personal notes to pages
- searching the books text for specific words
- downloading passages from the book
- Use these buttons to turn the pages of your eBook.
- Having trouble seeing the text … use this button to zoom in an out.
- Want to highlight a passage? Just use your mouse to select the text you desire then use this button to highlight it. (Don’t like yellow highlighter … then try out pink or blue). Anything highlighted will be saved to your Bookshelf so you can come back to it at anytime.
- You can down load passages of a book to save to your Bookshelf, or print.
- You can add your own personalized notes to a page by clicking on Infotools and selecting Create Notes.
Step 4: Start Reading up on a Career
That’s about it for instructions … now its time to start learning about a career from the comfort of your couch. If you have any more questions about using the Library’s eBooks feel free to contact a Reference Librarian at (708) 709 7948 or email us at email@example.com.